Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tabletop Gaming 2.0...

Golem Arcana "kickstarted" today. I have to say that I'm excited by it. Having a fully fleshed-out digital format seems to be a great way to get new players interested in tabletop gaming without having them pour large amounts of time/money into rule-books, paints, etc. I have many friends who easily fit into this category, and I can see this as a great gateway for them to have exposure to tabletop gaming. The models look great, especially the Gudanna, which will be gracing my collection as soon as they become available. However, while I like having them pre-painted, I have my own color scheme in mind.

I really like the idea of having digital rules that are readily available. That's something that Games Workshop and Privateer Press are only just getting into...and aren't doing a great job of it. Perhaps one day I'll be able to have a reasonably-priced digital rule-book that allows me to quickly find and compare rules.

I'm a little curious to see how responsive the game is. It's no secret that I despise War Room, and how cumbersome it can be on certain platforms. It'll be interesting to see how well Golem Arcana fares on alternative Android platforms.

Speaking of platforms, I've been experimenting with my basing materials. I picked up a Circle Argus and a Circle Winter Argus for a uButcher proxy. While I'm not planning on keeping them long-term, I kind of wanted to show them some love. Typically, I use a mixture of white glue and sand. I then prime it, and paint it. This time, I covered the base with gorilla glue, then coated it in sand. As the gorilla glue expanded, I could "mould" the base into a rough, hilly terrain. I'd like to try it on a larger scale to see how well it works for a possible table design. For small-based models, it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment